• Please we urge all unregistered users to swiftly register to enable you enjoy loads of benefits rollingout in our community. Be open to opportunities to do good for someone else today. Anything that do not please God in your life has come to distroy you.
banner

AdServersite

Premium User
Nov 24, 2023
Abuja Nigeria

Overview:​

I. In Egypt, the Israelites multiplied (1:1–7)

II. The Israelites become slaves under the Egyptian monarch (8–14)

III. The Egyptian monarch is trying to make them less in number. He is ignored by the Midwives (15–22).

IV. After his birth, Moses is placed in a basket (2:1-4)

V. The daughter of Pharaoh adopts Moses (5–10)

VI. Moses is motivated to support his fellow brethren (11–14)

VII. Moses departs and takes up residence in Midian (15–22)

VIII. The Lord hears Israel's pleas and responds to them (23-25)

I. In Egypt, the Israelites multiplied (1:1–7)​

Discussion Questions:​

Why did the Israelites initially travel to Egypt?
What are the primary themes of Joseph's story?

Did God intend for them to leave the Promised Land and travel to Egypt? What may have been the intention of God in this? What does this indicate about the ways that God operates in the world and in our lives?

God promised to accompany them to Egypt and bring back a powerful people (Genesis 45:7–46:1-4).

1. Give the history of the Israelites' relocation to Egypt and their motivations.

2. The above-mentioned predictions of God were coming to pass, and the prediction that Abraham would establish a powerful country was at last coming true.

This was not an easy or smooth journey, but before God takes His people to the top of the mountain, He frequently leads them through valleys. The men of battle are numbered in Exo 12:37, and the number of males aged 20 and up is over 600,000, suggesting a population of about 2 million.

With an average of 35 marriages and three children—a modest and cautious number for Jews—the population may reach two million in just ten generations.

It makes perfect sense that they could have expanded to this number in this amount of time, given that it has been approximately 340 years since they moved there and that this represents 18 generations of 20 years.

II. The Israelites become slaves under the Egyptian monarch (8–14)​

Discussion Questions:​

Why did Joseph's contributions to Egypt go unappreciated by the next monarch?

What does this indicate about the duration since Joseph's passing?

Exist any other indications indicating a significant amount of time had passed (that is, that they had multiplied numerous times)? What attitude did the new monarch have toward the Israelites?

Which national strategy was implemented toward the Israelites?

What outcome did this policy have?

Why, in your opinion, does persecution historically achieve the reverse of what governments intended?

God informed Abraham in Genesis 15:13 that they would spend 400 years as slaves in a foreign land.

Commentary by Verse by Verse1. A policy of forced slavery was implemented nationally. Overlooking the Jews were placed taskmasters. For something like this to occur on a national level, a lot of technicalities would need to be taken care of. Controlling housing would be necessary. This implies that there would probably be cities with restricted regions where they might dwell, and that curfews and travel restrictions would likely be enforced by guards or military. Similar to WWII, there would probably need to be some sort of distinguishing mark to distinguish Jews from non-Jews with ease (maybe based on physical characteristics like beards, but they would want to make sure no Jews mixed in and pretended to be Egyptians).
To ensure that only Jews would be taken into slavery, there would need to be some sort of birth registration system or documents.
To prevent rebellion, there would need to be a permanent guard on duty day and night. Additionally, this would prohibit Jews from obtaining any type of weaponry, including spears, arrows, or swords. That would imply that soldiers might conduct routine, covert inspections without warning, breaking into homes and offices to ensure that no planned protests or Jews living in hiding were taking place. Stated differently, this was a significant national project. It is not the first, nor will it be the last, instance in history where Jews have been picked out and mistreated by entire countries.

2. The Bible exhibits an almost miraculous trend of expansion followed by BOOM and persecution. Jews and Christians have a tendency to flourish and spread far more quickly during periods of systematic government persecution than during times of peace. Are there any more instances of this? It is evident from the book of Judges that a remnant of the Jewish people turned to God throughout their enslavement. This is demonstrated in the New Testament with the early church. This phenomena is still present in China today. Prior to the cultural revolution, the church faced systematic persecution and the expulsion of foreign missionaries. When missionaries returned, the outcome was an underground Chinese church that was considerably bigger and flourishing! It had burst numerous times.

Even now, the same thing continues to take place. What explanation is there for this? What does all of this reveal about God? How can we be more resilient to persecution in the modern world?

III. The Egyptian monarch is trying to make them less in number. He is ignored by the Midwives (15–22).​

Questions for Discussion​

Which new policy (ethno-gender-genocide) was introduced in these verses?

How were two women going to manage so many babies?

Why do you suppose they disobeyed Pharaoh?

What is the Bible's position on this policy?

Did the midwives tell Pharaoh the truth? Why not? Is this a legitimate way to lie?

What was Pharaoh's latest scheme?

Are there any contemporary policies that resemble this one? (Policy of one child)

What do you think about forced or voluntary abortions performed to avoid paying fines, as well as the one child policy? What do you suppose God would say regarding this matter?

What can we do to influence God on this matter, given that we are unable to establish national policy?

Cross-References​

Acts 4:19–5:29: We have to obey God and not man.Proverbs 1:7 teaches that knowledge begins with a fear of the Lord.

Then the LORD spoke to me, saying, "I knew you before I formed you in the womb; I sanctified you before you were born; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." (Jeremiah 1:4-5).

When God returns, what should I do? How am I to respond to Him when He punishes me? Did He not create them when He created me in the womb? Did He not create us in the womb as well? Job 31:14–15
Because you shaped my insides and enveloped me in my mother's womb. I will give You thanks because I am a fearfully and wonderfully formed being, and my soul is completely aware of how amazing Your works are. (Psalm 139:13–14)

The LORD says this: He is the one who created you, who shaped you in the womb, and who will support you.(Isaiah 44:2).

All of you who are still members of the Israelite family, whom I have supported since your conception and carried since birth, listen to me, O house of Jacob. I am the one who will support you till you are old and gray in the hair. According to Isaiah 46:3–4, "I have made you, and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you."

It is forbidden to murder (Exodus 20:13).Uphold the rights of the downtrodden and impoverished; fight for the cause of the weak and fatherless. Deliver the helpless and defenseless from the wicked's grasp (Psalm 82:3–4).

Commentary by Verse by Verse​

1. This is murder, just like abortion. Whether the baby is still in the womb or not, there is never a justification for killing it. From conception, God creates life and shapes us in the womb.

Even the possibility of dying and devastating outcomes are insufficient justifications for getting an abortion. The midwives are an excellent illustration of upholding morality in the face of pressure from others or authority to act improperly.
2. Like the midwives, we Christians need to do everything in our power to preserve lives in a dangerous society. Praying, talking, and—most importantly—counselling can all be part of this. The number of people in our immediate vicinity who must make this kind of choice may surprise you. I personally know of SEVERAL members of my family or friends who have had the privilege of offering advice to ladies who are thinking about getting an abortion. In the US, two of my relatives gave advice to a woman about to enter an abortion facility; she ultimately chose not to have the procedure.
A life was prevented. It should be noted that occasionally a woman will first consent to forgo an abortion but then give in to pressure from her family because they believe the procedure would be too costly. Till the very end, keep praying and giving advice.

3. It's okay to defy authority sometimes.
4. All human life, whether it is healthy or not, is precious.

God created us in his likeness. Tests for Down syndrome are among the other applications (since the results suggest abortions).

5. The source of wisdom is fear of the Lord.

6. This verse does not teach us that lying is OK. Even though they may not have had the faith to confront Pharaoh, their acts to rescue the lives were morally right. This section of the story does not address the morality of lying; instead, it commends them for not killing the babies.
IV. After his birth, Moses is placed in a basket (2:1-4)

How do you feel about the mother's behavior?
What possible harm may this have posed? Was she acting appropriately?
What actions regarding the one-child policy can or should a Christian family in China take?
Why had she buried the basket in the riverside reeds?

V. Chapters 5–10Was there a coincidence here?
What revelations about God does this passage make?
Why do you suppose God intended for a member of the royal family to find Moses?
What does the daughter of Pharaoh have to teach us?
How would Moses' upbringing in Pharaoh's household have prepared him to carry out God's purpose for his life?
1. The Almighty is in charge. Everything that occurs has a purpose. Coincidences don't occur. God touched Pharaoh's daughter's heart, causing her to become compassionate.

2. God arranges people for a reason and uses them to further His goals. He employs a wide range of individuals, wealthy and impoverished alike, to carry out His purposes. Wherever we are, we must be open to being used by God.

3. Despite the fact that we may believe we have little influence on national policy or that we are powerless to alter it entirely, each individual can nevertheless have an impact. Though we can't instantly alter the entire globe, we can nevertheless have an influence on those who are close to us.
VI. Moses is motivated to support his fellow brethren (11–14)

What about Moses' character can we infer from these verses?

Was he a man of his people? What moral lessons can we draw from him?

What possible effects would Pharaoh's upbringing have had on his morals?

Was Moses' action correct or incorrect? Isn't what drives us the most significant factor?

What attitude did the Israelites have toward Moses based on these verses?

Why could they have been so contemptuous of him?

1. Moses cared about his fellow Israelites. God would later do tremendous things with this heart of compassion.

2. God would have used Moses then and there, but he was not prepared to be a leader.
3. An action is not always right just because it is motivated correctly. For instance, euthanasia, white lies, vigilante justice (as we see here), etc. For something to be good in God's eyes, it must have the appropriate motivation and the correct deeds. It was not appropriate to solve this issue by murder.

4. At this point, Moses essentially had no folks or place to call home. The Jews detested him. Most likely, they didn't like him because they thought he was a traitor. He was reveling in the wealth and pleasures of a noble existence, while they were toiling away in anguish as slaves. He was the rich, spoilt, and privileged child with connections that the general public despises.
VII. Moses departs and takes up residence in Midian (15–22)

What qualities of Moses' personality can we infer from these verses?​

Why is this a crucial character attribute for a leader?

What aspects of Middle Eastern hospitality are visible?
How may Moses have benefited from spending these forty years in Midian?

Is it a coincidence that he joined a group of people who worship the real God?

More about Jethro in Exodus 18:12–23.Genesis 25:1–4.

1. The Midianites knew and worshipped the true God because they were also sprung from Abraham via Keturah. (However, it appeared that they nearly entirely turned to idol worship later in their history.)

2. Moses appeared to be dressed like an Egyptian at this point, based likely on his hair and beard style.
3. Moses shown a desire to interact with and assist common people. Despite being from a royal lineage, he didn't seem to have a haughty, "better than thou" mentality. This suggests that he accepted his unfortunate situation with humility.

4. Moses protected the defenseless girls from some shepherds' hands. This demonstrates both bravery and leadership. Leaders need to be bold and compassionate toward those who are weak and unable to take care of themselves.

5. Jethro provided the hospitality that the culture required. By offering his daughter to Moses, he went above and beyond what was expected of him.

Given that Moses was a man without a family or a house, and that Jethro admired Moses's masculine assistance with tending to his own sheep, it was clear that they were engaged in matrimony.

6. Because Moses was a sojourner in a foreign nation, he named his son Gershom shortly after he had him.

VIII. The Lord hears Israel's pleas and responds to them (23-25)​

What response (prayer to God) did the Jews have as a result of their enslavement?

Does this verse provide any insight into why God would have first let them to become slaves?

Which four verbs of action describe how God answered their prayers?

When did God start to grant their requests? (Much prior to they even began to call out to him.)

Did God hear their prayers and save them right away?

What does this indicate about the way that God hears our prayers?

What are your thoughts on this Exodus 1-2 Bible study?

We would be delighted to hear your opinions.​

Comment below with your thoughts.

BSF For Soul Wining Support Donation

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$1,000.00
Donation ends: