• Please we urge all unregistered users to swiftly register to enable you enjoy loads of benefits rollingout in our community. Be open to opportunities to do good for someone else today. Anything that do not please God in your life has come to distroy you.
banner

admin

BSF Senior Staff
Staff member
Premium User
Aug 19, 2023
Abuja Nigeria
In a nutshell, it depends on your denomination and church. A M.Div. or its equivalent from a seminary recognized by the denomination is required by certain denominations. Some are not as strict.

To put it in a more generalized way, all it takes to become a pastor is a call from God and the acceptance of the people you serve. Ordainment is based on those two principles, or that is how it is meant to be.

Certain churches hold seminary degrees in the highest contempt. I've heard seminary referred to as a "cemetery" on multiple occasions because that's where people go to die in their faith.

A formal education is not nearly as important as a gift from God.

I've known some of the greatest pastors and ministers who never held a theological degree. The finest pastor I've ever known had a master's degree in social work rather than theology, an aw-shucks Missouri twang, and some of the strongest spiritual gifts I've ever seen for shepherding a flock. The best preacher I've ever known didn't even attend seminary or college, but he could deliver a 45-minute sermon on five difficult passages from 2nd Kings and leave his audience wanting more.

The Vineyard movement, Calvary Chapels, Latter Day Saints of all denominations, the Plymouth Brethren, and I'm sure many more are among the entire movements and denominations that do not require seminary degrees for their ministry. However, I can speak from personal experience when I say that sometimes the simple route isn't the best one.

BSF For Soul Wining Support Donation

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$1,000.00
Donation ends: